BCSRT Position Statement
Diagnostic Home Sleep Testing
October 15th, 2019
The board of directors for the British Columbia Society of Respiratory Therapists (BCSRT) endorses the following statements that Registered Respiratory Therapists are able to safely and competently:
- Prepare patients for sleep related breathing disorder monitoring of level 3 and level 4 multichannel devices.
- Assess the validity and quality of results from diagnostic tests for sleep related breathing disorders with level 3 and level 4 multichannel monitoring devices.
- Interpret the results from diagnostic tests for sleep related breathing disorders with level 3 and level 4 multichannel monitoring devices.
The board of directors for the BCSRT recommends that RRTs obtain an advanced competency in order to perform level 1 and level 2 diagnostic tests for sleep related breathing disorders. The BCSRT board of directors anticipates the creation of a regulatory college that will provide oversight of respiratory therapy. This regulatory college will be best positioned to determine the advanced competency required of RRTs who want to perform and interpret level 1 and level 2 diagnostic tests for sleep related breathing disorders.
Information used in making our position statement was obtained from the National Competency Framework for the Profession of Respiratory Therapy 2016 – 2021. This framework was developed by the Canadian National Alliance of Respiratory Therapy Regulatory Bodies.
Endorsed by BCSRT Board of Directors:
- Mike MacAulay, President
- Danielle McDonagh, Director of Community Relations
- Tina Hsu, Director of Education
- Alexa McMillian, Director of Student Relations
- Sapan Behar, Director of Finance
- Zac Hilberry, Director of Member Relations