Board of Directors
Message from the Board of Directors
The BCSRT Board of Directors would like to personally thank-you for all your hard work advocating for our profession as a Respiratory Therapist. We feel it is important to recognize our past achievements as a profession and we look forward to continuing to be the leaders in the promotion of health and the delivery of quality respiratory care.
It is always interesting to remember our history as a profession. The BCSRT was formed in 1964, as the Canadian Society of Inhalation Therapy Technicians, BC Division. It changed its name in 1968 to the BC Society of Respiratory Technicians, in 1977, to the BC Society of Respiratory Technologists, and finally to the BC Society of Respiratory Therapists in 1983, when it was incorporated under the BC Society Act.
It has been over 20 years,since we changed our name from Respiratory Technologist to Respiratory Therapist, but we know first-hand how important technology has positively impacted the care we provide to our patients. It is wonderful to witness our profession growing quickly into all areas of practice, and we must thank-you for making our dreams become a reality! Thank-you from the BCSRT Board of Directors!
The BCSRT is the provincial professional association of Respiratory Therapists, with the purposes of:
- Promote the role of Registered Respiratory Therapists (RTs) and represent the interests of the occupation of Respiratory Therapy.
- Encourage and develop professional programs through the continuum of education in respiratory care.
- Promote best practices within the profession and in collaboration with other health care disciplines.
- Engage in professional partnerships with national professional associations and regulators.
- Ensure that members of the Society abide by the BCSRT Code of Ethics, the BCSRT Standards for Professional Conduct, and the BCSRT Standards of Practice.
- Continuously review and revise the standards of practice for Respiratory Therapy as the profession of health care evolves.
Director of Member Relations
Director of Finance